Let’s get this rolling with some yarn and fiber!

It’s been a while since I last tried keeping everyone up to date using a blog. I’ve got to admit that communicating in the Fiber Optic Fans group on ravelry has a much more intimate and friendly feel to it for me than blogging does. I think it has something to do with the idea of writing an entire monologue and sending it out into the world without any two-way conversation. I feel a bit like the zealot that stands on the corner professing, ‘Repent – the end of the world is near!’  No one ever talks to him and he simply keeps monologuing.  So, I thought we might ease into this whole blogging thing together, you and I. I’ll even offer up a little spinning/knitting incentive to get you motivated! Simply leave a comment on today’s entry so it feels a bit more like a conversation. Everyone leaving a comment by April 9th (2 days from now) will be entered into a drawing for a $20 gift certificate to Fiber Optic Yarns.

So, want to see my new toy? Here she is:

I actually bought this Lendrum Saxony CPW from Toni Neil (The Fold) a year and a half ago but have been terrified to refinish it myself so it has sat unused, which is a very sad thing. So I finally came to my senses and sought out someone who could finish it for me. Three weeks ago I dropped it off at Ellie’s so that Bob, who has a lot more experience refinishing furniture, could put a hand rubbed tung oil finish on it for me. Yesterday afternoon I went to retrieve it and was completely floored by how deep and beautiful the wood grain had become!

This wheel is the cherry version. It also comes in maple and walnut. I love all these woods, but cherry is my favorite! One of the drawbacks with cherry wood, though, is that it can, and often does, have a lot of sap wood, which shows up as pale tan stripes against the deeper richer heart wood. Imagine my surprise, then, to find that the sap wood is nearly nonexistent – just beautiful heartwood throughout!  This is just one more attention to detail that Gord pays to these beautiful wheels.  Oh – you want to see the spinning I’ve initiated her with?

It’s the mixed-BFL/silk tops dyed up in the Jade colorway for the March 2011 fiber club.  It’s been several weeks since I’ve got some time to relax in the evenings and spin – so, really, how could I resist a new wheel and my fave current fiber?  I’ve got big plans for this fiber.  I’ve been talking with folks on ravelry who adore and are very proficient at spinning boucle (loopy) yarns and they are very interested to see if a boucle yarn can be made using a navajo-ply.  So stay tuned for either a new spinning technique or a tangled mess!  Only time will tell…

17 Responses to “Let’s get this rolling with some yarn and fiber!”

1. Shannon says:

Well perhaps it’s only fitting it languished for a year+ — I’m afraid that I will do the same with some of your fiber (aka fibre) being terrified of ruining it. 😉

2. Laura says:

How magnificent! It looks like an heirloom! I’m fond of cherry myself 🙂

I find myself thinking of a wheel from time to time… there needs to be more hours in the day so I can knit and spin every day! (and work, and get to the gym, cook, clean… can’t we just knit and spin?)

3. Fiberenabler (Jen) says:

OOH! That is truly beautiful. I love the warm wood finish, and of course the beautiful spinning.

4. knitreadspin says:

When running a business, time becomes very important, so if blogging works better than Ravelry I say go for it.

Personally, I don’t post photos so much because of the time commitment but I love seeing everyone elses photos.

I hope you find the balance you need.

5. Karen Bowen says:

Wow, that is a beatiful wheel, cherry wood is one of my favorites.
    It should be a pleasure to spin with if you have time.
    I see you have some fiber festivals coming up in Michigan, guess I will need to look into those

6. Melinda says:

Lovely wheel and fiber.

Is sapwood bad or just a preference to have even coloring? I have a wheel which has some sapwood on the edge of one pedal. Not sure I like it. The maker says it’s hard to tell whether a piece has it until it’s stained.

7. Kathryn says:

Lovely “new” wheel, Kimber!

8. Kimber says:

Sapwood isn’t necessarily bad but I think it can be more susceptible to humidity or temperature changes so it might be problematic if there is a lot of it in the actual wheel or something which needs to remain ‘true’. I don’t know, though, how much the temperature or humidity needs to change to cause a problem. If you’ve never seen an issue with your wheel, then I think you are fine and I wouldn’t worry about it. I was just surprised that there wasn’t significant sapwood on this wheel since it’s quite common.

9. Junipero says:

It’s beautiful! I love the wheel, and that colorway is amazing! So woodsy and earthy! And your spinning is of course gorgeous!

10. Sarah JS says:

What a LOVELY wheel! The cherry is very classy. I had the great good fortune to grow up with much dark cherry furniture (it was the one thing my folks splurged on in their early years).

As for the blogging? It’s easier for you: Good thing.
    This is all of one click (or was it two? In any case, insignificant) away from Ravely. Skin off our noses?: None.
    Feeling of monologuing? Only if you don’t include the comments. So a bit time-delayed of a multi-way conversation, but a conversation just the same. Making Kimber feel more comfortable?: Priceless.

11. gkm says:

Oh my goodness, it’s gorgeous! And lovely spinning, too. I’m a fairly new spinner (and new to your group, as well) but someday when I grow up I shall spin as nicely as you. Probably not on such a pretty wheel, though 😉

12. rubylamore says:

Your new toy is gorgeous, the colour of it is delicious! And I bet spinning your lovely tops on it is a dream!

13. Mary Beth says:

Beautiful wheel! Love cherry wood too!

I love FiberOptic fiber too.

14. KraftyKathy says:

I seen this wheel today and words cannot describe how Beautiful it is.

15. Lisa says:

That wheel is just beautiful. Cherry wood is my favorite!

16. Candice says:

That wheel is gorgeous!!! I just started spinning up some fiber of yours the other day that I got at Wool Gathering last year 🙂 Hadn’t had motivation to spin for a few months and as I was going through my stash I saw the fiber and it called out to me!

17. Iza says:

Gorgeous! Have you chosen a name for the wheel yet?